Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Monday, May 28, 2007

Okay, so Friday was Day 1, Treatment 1, 5 more to go. We were late, as usual, but it was the last day of school and we both wanted to be able to drop Cooper off!

We got there about 8:20 and were in the infusion room around 8:40. I started with 1 or 2 saline drips, then on to Herceptin. I think I had an infusion of Emend (or something similar for nausea) and Benadryl. I also had 2 Tylenol. During the Herceptin (90 minutes), we met with Dr. Bender. He is pretty cool, but I don't think he gets that I am doing this for two reasons: 1, to live, and 2, to have another child. Maybe more on this later, maybe not.

After the Herceptin was done, and I had eaten a full breakfast (during the infusion, no less) I started Taxotere. This is the drug that requires steriod premedication, and which kind of freaked me out therefore. About 10 minutes into it, I think I had a panic attack. We had to stop for a few minutes, as the symptoms of a Taxotere (Taxol derivitive) are pretty much the same as a PA. An infusion of Ativan, and I was good to go again. I had lunch (steriod hunger rage was kicking in), and after Taxotere was Carboplatin. I didn't feel anything really with any of them. I got a shot of Neulasta and I was out the door. This "out the door" began at 8:20 a.m., and ended at 2:20 p.m. It won't take this long each time--the Herceptin and Taxotere are infused at half the rate the first time to see how it goes.

All in all, the first treatment wasn't horrible. I hope I am not kicking myself in the ass by saying that. Meaning that all the rest could be the total nightmare I had envisioned!!! We shall see.
Friday I just felt "out of it", more surreal than anything. My mind was racing, but my body felt liked it weighed 200 lbs. I ate like a horse, and tried to walk the cul-de-sac. I made it to Mikki's mailbox and had to sit on the curb. Anna came by to "babysit" me while Todd ran a few errands. I did have a beer, but it wasn't all that relaxing.

Saturday I had a ton more energy, and got about 10 loads of laundry done, as well as hanging artwork, doing dishes, and (once again) eating like a horse. I think I am getting the steriod "moon face", but Todd disagrees. He says I look "beautiful". Ah-hmmm. Bo, Holly, and George brought us a mountain of food from Honeybaked Ham, but I was crashed out the entire time they were here. Jon and Eric came over that night, bringing WARM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, which I had been craving. Is this how "Terrell" always felt? You have to get that reference to understand that joke, and I am not about to go explaining it to you if you don't!

More update on the weekend later...

No comments: