Friday, September 12, 2008

Is there a "Green Party" this year?

I have had it. Had it, had it, had it. My inbox is completely over-run with political crap and I can't take it anymore. Who really thinks that sending anti-so and so rhetoric is really going to sway my vote? I am so sick of hearing about how Obama might (or might not) be a Muslim and how McCain is too old. The truth is that neither of them will keep half of the promises they are making during the campaign process. Even if they could, they won't. Which is probably a good thing, because some of their ideas, morals, etc. make me want to vomit in my mouth (a little bit).

I, for one, am offended that people who have NO IDEA what political party I run with would send me the crap that they do! That's like sending a Jewish person a Christmas tree. For Christ's sake, people. I could not care less if McCain doesn't know how many houses he has, or what Michelle Obama wrote her senior thesis on. I am so sick of it.

Obama is an enigma to me. I just can't figure him out. I watched him speak at the DNC in 2004, and I told my husband that I thought he was a great speaker. I am a great speaker, but I don't think I can run the country successfully. Or at least do a better job than the cartoon character we have had for the last four years.

McCain seems stuffy, old school, and most likely to keep us all exactly where we are. I do not like Sarah Palin, so stop telling me how "great" it is that McCain selected a woman! I love it that some think that the Hillary supporters are going to vote for McCain because of Palin. What kind of sheep do they think those women are? Wonderful that she is the first woman governor of Alaska. Admirable that she believes in "abstinence-only" sex education (that one didn't work out so well for her, did it?). Great that she decided to not abort a baby with Down's Syndrome (Wow. A true hero, that one. To actually want the child you are carrying no matter what?!?). She might be a woman, but she is nowhere near the kind of women I respect, so let it go. Let. It. Go. Michelle Obama doesn't strike a chord with me, either, but Michelle Obama might not be president one day. Not that I'm saying that McCain is too old and might, well...you know.

Here is what I WANT from the next president:

1. Stop sending us to wars in far off places while we have people who can't take their children (or themselves) to the ER because they don't have health insurance, veterans who are treated as baggage instead of heroes, children who go to bed hungry, senseless acts of violence, and diseases that will continue to kill us. When all that is taken care of, take over Holland for all I care.

2. Give us a more fair tax system. I own a small business, and I would be fine with increased sales tax and obliterating the wage tax. I love to shop--more money in my pocket, more shopping. I don't care if it costs more, I still want it!

3. Keep your laws off my body and out of people's bedrooms. The choice that I would make might not be what another would make, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have that choice. I used to get threats from one certain religious group for my beliefs on ectopic pregnancy (life-threatening in all cases--look it up if you don't know what it is), and my decision to undergo IVF. I don't mean "you are going to hell" threats, either. Scary ones. That just shows you how a topic like this can go from "birth control" abuse to simply insane rhetoric. I have a LOT of "gay" friends, so enough said on that. Enough said, okay?

4. Make the world a better place for my child and his children. Stop raping what we do have, and come up with ways to extricate us from foreign oil dependence.

It would seem that most of that is in the Obama camp, but Obama doesn't have my vote. Want to know who I am voting for? Ask me in November, as I have no idea right now and might just take a long nap on that day. It would be idealistic to tell me that "every vote counts". However, I remember all too well the 2000 election. Dangling chad, anyone?

I am not going to vote for someone because you told me to, or not to. I am not going to vote for someone because my parents do. I might not even vote for the person my husband does. So, please STOP sending me candidate-bashing e-mails, videos and pleas for my vote. I will most likely vote for the other guy if you continue to do so.

No comments: