Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Friday, August 17, 2007

Other than being in a generally pissy mood tonight, I am good. However, this is Day 1, and I always feel pretty good. Deanna came over and babysat me while Todd went to Paul Carroll's visitation/funeral. So sad...

We are also praying tonight for Ryan Lewis and his family (Carolyn, wife of Brian Jones is Ryan's aunt). He is such a precious little boy, and I hope my steroid and Ativan high keep me up a little late so that Deanna can text me on his progress.

I am also thankful that Kelly Dennis' mother, Kathleen is doing so much better. There are little miracles everywhere and these two families are very deserving of them...

Things like this keep what I am going through in perspective. Although I have felt like it during my "mentally challenged" days, I am not going to injure myself. Everyone has tragedies in their lives. From childhood to old age, we will suffer in one way or another.

However, that doesn't mean I am not pissy. I say that I only have three weeks to do on the chemo front, but it's really another 3 weeks and 10 days. It takes me 10 days to feel somewhat normal after a treatment. I am not looking at the glass half full, I am preparing myself to not be too optimistic on the recovery of chemo!!!

In case you are also wondering, I wanted to answer the most frequent questions I have been asked, and you are more than welcome to use them to answer questions anyone else might ask you about me.

1. I heard I/Krista/your friend/Todd's wife/Serendipity's owner/Cooper's Mom is "sick": I have never been "sick"--not from the cancer and not from the chemo. I found the lump myself during a regular monthly exam. I had a lumpectomy, not mastectomy (for all of those people who stare at my boobies when we talk) and SNB. It was not causing my boob to stick out more. The worst I have had with the chemo is swollen lymph nodes, skin irritations, some bathroom trips, acid reflux (no whole or chunked tomatoes, please) and neuropathy in my feet. I have not vomited, shook, or had to be hospitalized. My blood counts have been really good, and I only take a Neulasta injection after each chemo to protect me from infection. The lump was removed with clear margins (microscopically) and there was nothing in the lymph nodes, nor on the CT scan. I was lucky in all areas. It was Stage One, and you can consider that the Silver Medal in the Breast Cancer Olympics.

2. Although all of my hair has not fallen out, it has significantly thinned. While I had fine hair before, I had a lot of it, and you can see scalp most definitely. I hope it doesn't all go, as my little faux hawk looks cute when I fix it. I have lost 50-60% of my eyelashes, and some of my eyebrows. There are little eyelashes already growing in.

3. I am not, will not, and can't sell or close Serendipity Baby & Co. It has continued to run pretty smoothly, except for the occassional stinky customer, which we get rid of as fast as we can! LOL I meet with custom clients the Monday-Wednesday after I get back and have everything in the work shop by the following Thursday (before my next chemo round)

4. What's after this? I will continue to receive Herceptin (look it up) infusions every three weeks until May 25, 2007. This is not chemo, it is a monoclail (spelling is probaby so wrong there) antibody. They will want me to start radiation several weeks after I finish chemo, but I have to speak with the RAOD about some concerns I have. I will let you know. They also want me to take Tamoxifen for either two years (stop and have a baby) then back on for 3 more years, or a full 5 years. That is also an ongoing topic of discussion with me, and I will let you know! There really isn't any other follow- up, except for mammograms every 6 months, which I will have. I am also going to request a breast MRI, and follow-up CT scan after I finish Herceptin.
Cooper started back to school on Monday, and he is still at Rising Star Montessori. He loves it there, and they love him!

I am going to try to upload some new photos tonight. We shall see.

If I am cohearant over the weekend, I will update you. Thanks for checking in--having an intelligent conversation gets a bit rough for me in the next few days.

Also, shop at Serendipity Baby & Co.!!! Just kidding, thought I needed some shameless self-promotion! I crack myself the F up sometimes

No comments: